How to Register on the Central Supplier Database (CBD)
By Werner van Rooyen, Director of HowToTender (Pty) Ltd which specializes in tender consulting and tender training.
We have an overwhelming response from Small, Medium and Micro Enterprise (SMME’s) owners requesting us to help them to register on the Central supplier Database.
To register on the Central Supplier Database or CSD (for short) you need to go to the website: https://secure.csd.gov.za/. Once you are on the website the registration process is fairly easy.
The trick is that you must first register as a natural person before you can register your business on the website. You will also need an active email address that you can access whilst registering and you will need a cell phone because you are going to receive one-time-pin messages from the CSD website.
Once you have registered in person you will need to activate your account. This is done by clicking on the activation link that is send to your active email account. After your account has been activated you can start registering your businesses on the CSD.
Here is some valuable information that you will have to have on hand to register quick and easy:
- Company name (you have the option to register as a company or any other legal entity or as an individual or partnership);
- Company or Legal Entity registration number;
- Income Tax reference number;
- VAT number;
- Bank details that will be used in your business;
- Physical as well as a Postal address (especially if the postal address differs from your physical address;
- Your business’ commodities and a good description thereof.
An interesting feature of the CSD website and the registration process is that once you have completed each section it links up with other Government departments such as SARS (South African Revenue Services) and CIPC (Companies and Intellectual Property Commission) as well as the commercial Banks in South Africa. This means that:
- Once you have inserted your Income Tax reference number it shows your tax status as well as your Tax Clearance Certificate information; and
- It retrieves all your directors’ information from CIPC; and
- It confirms that your bank account is a valid bank account.
At the end of the day the registration process is actually quite easy and not very time consuming.
To learn more about this and many other tender conditions attend our “Become a Tender Expert” 2-Day workshops presented in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban, Port Elizabeth, and Cape Town. Book and pay online at https://howtotender.co.za/tender-expert-form/
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org should you require more information.
You can also purchase a Tender Manual (Handbook) on our website https://howtotender.co.za/ which is a step by step guide how to respond to a South African Tender. It includes examples of completed SBD forms.