The Central Supplier Database
The Central Supplier Database (CSD) , an initiative of the National Treasury, is a database of organisations, institutions and individuals who wish to provide goods and services to government.
On 1 April 2016 the CSD became the single source of key supplier information for organs of state, providing consolidated, accurate, up-to-date, complete and verified supplier information to procuring organs of state.
Prior to the CSD there was no single consolidated comprehensive supplier database existing for national, provincial or local government. This caused the duplication and fragmentation of supplier information across spheres of government.
Prospective suppliers interested in pursuing opportunities within the South African government are encouraged to self-register on the CSD. This self-registration application represents an expression of interest from the supplier to conduct business with the South African Government. Once submitted, your details will be assessed for inclusion on the CSD.
Why should a supplier register on the CSD?
- Suppliers will only be required to register once when they do business with government;
- A supplier will be able to ensure their data is up-to-date, complete and accurate;
- Standardised and electronic verification of supplier information leading to reduced fraud with paper copies and manual processes;
- Supplier will not be required to submit physical tax clearance and business registration certificate to organs of state; and
- Single source of supplier information to all organs of state
What is required for suppliers to register?
- All suppliers will be required to complete required information on the CSD website and must ensure it is complete, accurate and comprehensive. The following would be amongst the required information:
- Supplier information i.e. supplier type, identification number, supplier name, trading name and country of origin;
- Supplier contact i.e. preferred contact person, preferred communication method, email address, cell phone number, telephone number, etc.;
- Supplier address i.e. country, province, municipality, city, suburb, ward and postal code;
- Bank account information;
- Supplier tax information;
- Ownership information, i.e. name and identification number of directors, members etc.;
- Association to any other suppliers i.e. branch, consortium member etc.; and
- Commodities the supplier can supply.
A valid email address, identity number, cell phone number and bank account details are mandatory in order to register on the CSD.